COVID-19 has impacted life as we know it in numerous ways, including the massive shift to remote work. A virtual or remote internship is a unique opportunity for students to work without commuting to a physical office. Given the current state of the world, virtual internships are now more common than ever. As a matter of fact, Handshake data reports 60% of employers are planning to offer remote internships in the coming year.
Internships allow us to gain valuable work experience, refine our skills, network, and gain confidence in our prospective careers. These fundamental benefits should not change just because the format of your internship has. Check out the intern checklist we assembled to help you maximize your experience this summer:
- Set goals for your internship, communicate them with your supervisor, and revisit these goals through the duration of your work period
- Remain flexible and positive in this type of work environment
- Set-up reoccurring meetings with your supervisor
- Figure out the best way to manage your to-do list and keep track of deadlines
- Set up a clean and organized workspace in your home
- Communicate if you have too much or not enough on your plate
- Ask questions
- Ask for feedback
Make the most out of your experience and stand out in your organization.
Written by Hannah Palermo (Marketing & Communications Intern)